Friday, May 02, 2008

Eric Wynalda returns to the pitch

Former US international and ESPN broadcaster Eric Wynalda is returning to the pitch after being cleared to play for the Premier Development League's Ventura County Fusion.

It has been seven years since he hung up his cleats, but Wynalda feels ready for this challenge thanks in large part to a fruit drink.
He credits this "comeback" to the fruit drink Monavie, which is based on the South American acai berry.

"My life since I retired was the managing pain from 11 surgeries," said Wynalda. "Ever since I've been drinking that stuff, I haven't taken one Advil.

"I've been playing all weekend for a year and a half now."
I smell a jersey sponsorship deal.

With the PDL three levels below MLS, Wynalda should still be able to shine, but I wonder how much juice he will need to drink in order to deal with the pain of playing on high school quality field turf?

So if you live in Southern California and want to see a US soccer legend playing meaningful matches, you now have a good, cheap option.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He never should have quit. Let's hope Fullham picks up his contract. One of the few players I would travel across country to see.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with frealfutbol. However, I would not travel across the whole country just to see him. However if he was pretty skilled (like Messi or Kaka) then maybe. :-)

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remeber when eric wynalda was the man. Hope he gets to enjoy soccer for a long time to come...

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home