Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mexico wants to host 2008 Copa America

Mexico wants to be the first non-South American country to host the Copa America and they want to do it in 2008. However there is just one problem, the next scheduled Copa is not till 2009.

Mexican soccer federation president Julio Compean explained his choice of 2008 over 2009 by pointing out all the other soccer tournaments already scheduled for that year. They include the FIFA Confederations Cup, the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifying. He thinks 2008 offers a greater opening as far as availability.

A South American Confederation official said they would look at the proposal.

As the Copa becomes more of a North and South America event (there is talk of having up to 4 CONCACAF teams) it is very likely that, eventually, it will happen somewhere north of Columbia, however 2008 seems a bit quick.

With Argentina next in line for hosting duties, I'd be very surprised to see this change happen. However, Compean has said Mexico will apply to host the 2011 Copa if they do not get it in 2008.

If the change did happen in 2008, I'm guessing it would be easier for US Soccer to attend since they will have no other commitments.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Oscar M. said...

Is the Copa America still on a 2 year rotation or did it move to 4 years? With the long qualification process used in South America, the Copa America was highly devalued by being played every two years.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the author of Simple Life of YP, which the link is available in my Blogger profile.

I am really interested in football and would like to add you to my blogroll so that I don't have to remember your URL.

If can, I would like you to add me too. Can you add me and tell me which country are you from so that I can add you?

I really do read blogs that have done blogrolling with me and I really appreciate every one of my blog affiliates...

Thanks for giving time to read this. Just treat this as a spam if you decided you disappoint me....

Regards
Yee Piao

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colombia is spelled with an O not U.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have a question for you. When does the copa America begin?

Visit WWW.herbskifotball.blogspot.com
A footie blog with a bit of humour. Also, an 11 year old made it!

SEE YA

6:19 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

thanks for correcting the person who spelled Columbia with a U. I always get offended as a Colombian :)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home