Friday, July 21, 2006

One year old today

One year ago today I finally stopped procrastinating and launched My Soccer Blog. I say launched, but that might be a bit of an overstatement. Does filling out a form really deserve the verb launched?

Anyway, I started this blog for three reasons. One, learn more about the sport of soccer. Two, help others find information on soccer. And three, make those big blog-money-bucks.

So how am I doing?

One - I have a much greater understanding of the game and am very surprised when I talk with people who do not know how are this works (really, I need help with that).

Two - I think a couple people have learned something from this.

Three - Money made to date - $0. Maybe I should look into this thing called advertising. Oh well, there's always next year.

Enough with the jokes, or lame attempts at jokes.

When I decided to start this little blog, I was a bit shocked at how few soccer related blogs focusing on the American game were out there. The great thing is that today, there are dozens, if not hundreds of us out here (look at the blogroll for a few of my favorites), putting brilliant posts up every day.

As was saw during the World Cup, if soccer is to really get hold in this country, the internet is going to be a huge part. People want information and explanations and blogs provide both of those 24 hours a day. Every four years, soccer pops back into the mainstream for a month, but for the other 47 months, blogs will have to fill in.

Okay, enough with the grand standing, let's give out some awards, and by awards I mean let me talk about myself some more.

In a year's time I have put up 950 posts and all of them have at least four spelling and/or grammatical mistakes. The total number of comments from these 950 posts sits somewhere around 1100, with about 900 of those talking about the spelling and/or grammatical mistakes (I want to take a moment to thank Mr. Fish for posting the first real comment to this blog).

I really have enjoyed doing this and I hope that, at some point, I was able to provide you with a link that your found enjoyable or a take on events that you might not have thought of yourself. If I haven't, well I owe you nothing, but since that's what I've been giving you, I think we can call it even.

In closing, a year ago I finished my first post with a promise, that this blog will get better. I truly hope that it has and I thank you for taking the time to read what some goof thinks about the beautiful game.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Happy Birthday Mike's Blog... Here is to many more years of blogging bliss ahead!

Deuce!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Mike,

Happy Birthday to your blog! I just came across it a day or two ago, but I expect to be a frequent reader.

In fact, I mentioned a story you linked to yesterday (Neal Thurman's ideas for marketing soccer to the US) in a post on my (non-soccer) blog today. I never would've gotten to that Thurman essay, or to the Bill Simmons pages he linked to, if it hadn't been for your site.

Anyway, congrats, and keep up the good work! :-)

3:57 PM  
Blogger Pitch to Pub said...

Mike, Happy Birthday.

I too stubled across your blog about a week ago in my quest to find a source to keep me up to date on the world of soccer from an American perspective. I'll make an effort to spread the word and check in regularly. We'll see if we can keep this thing growing.

P2P

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday dude! I know your pain when it comes to starting a new blog and getting some money for it. But at the end of the day, if you like the subject that you write about, you don't care about making money. And that is when money comes to you. Keep it up.

Soccer Headquarters

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many happy returns on the occasion, boyo.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fish said...

Happy Birthday, and thanks for the mention. Keep up the good work.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i have a blog related to yours. please visit http://me-soccernews.blogspot.com/ and if possible create a link from your blog to mine.Thank You

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home