Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Jimmy Conrad's surgical story

US international Jimmy Conrad (pictured) tells the tale of his recent hernia surgery over at ESPN soccer. He also gives you an inside glimpse at the way professional athletes are coddled and a oh so fun look back at his night playing against Germany.

He makes a fine point on the German front.

I'm 12 years old and doing two-touch passing against the concrete wall in my backyard. After finishing a left foot to right foot sequence, I put my foot on the ball and gaze off into the distance. My daydream begins and I visualize the grandeur of it all: a big crowd in a hostile setting, a U.S. jersey with my name on the back, a chance to match wits with a few of the top players in the world, and, to stay true to the 12-year-old mentality, oranges and Capri Suns for halftime.

Little did I know that I would live the very dream from so long ago (U.S. vs. Germany in Dortmund in front of 65,000 and No. 4 jersey with my name on it) ... though I apparently forgot to envision who won the game, how I would play, and the effect a halftime without oranges and Capri Suns would have on the team.

So parents, a word to the wise: When you encourage your kids to dream big and to dream often, remind them to visualize the whole experience and not just the setting, unless of course, you want them to endure a forgettable 10 minutes and a hammering in the media for character-building purposes.


If you have ever wondered what it is like to be a MLS player, here is a good inside look.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Frace said...

Jimmy, we are all very proud of you!

Love, Aunt Margaret, Uncle Jim,
Ryan & Christopher

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home