Thursday, February 16, 2006

How about Houston Rovers '36

Another day, another post on Houston's name. This time I would like to suggest a name and give my reasons. Obviously, if you read the title or looked at the image, I'm suggesting Houston Rovers '36. I know the "Rovers" name has been thrown around already, so this is not breaking new ground, but still, let's see where I'm going with this.

"Rovers" would fit Houston for two big reasons. First off, the US sent these great robots to Mars a little while back in a mission called Mars Exploration Rover. The Rover project has been one of the best NASA project since Apollo. NASA is still a big part of Houston's identity. Anyway, this project was very efficient and has been a smashing success (two good things to tie a team to). Also, the NASA connection could help explain the use of the star.

Second, the name "Rovers" in a soccer team's name used to refer to a team that had no home. That is not really the case anymore for major league teams, but it does tie the MLS club to the European naming system in much the same way 1836 tried to. In addition, it would be a bit of a wink and a smile to the club's history.

Now, the addition of the '36 gives the "Rovers" a third explanation. As we all know by now, Houston was founded in 1836. If you use the term rover in a very loose way, you could say that all these roving people came together in '36 to form the city. I know, a little weak, but it could work. Also, '36 would allow you to keep the slogan "It's about time."

In addition to "Rovers '36", I also changed the image of Sam Houston riding a horse with a weapon drawn. Instead, I have placed an image of Sam Houston standing tall with a walking stick (or riffle if you prefer). This is the position one imagines someone would take when founding a city. It can also be seen as standing at ready or at attention.

So there you have it. I know "Rovers" was not a choice during the initial ballot, but who cares. I think both sides on the naming issue would be happy with it and it would be a good name. And think of the possible mascots: Sam Houston, a cowboy, a space probe or a dog. Good times all around.

Update: D from DCenters posted a great comment about this name, which makes me like it even more. Here it is: "I think security should have to dress up as weather balloons too. But only in a Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner sort of way."

I guess that would prove that no team is a number.

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Well argued. I still will hold out for Gatos.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Mike H said...

I agree with the Gatos. I just like that name. Still, if not that, why not Rovers '36.

4:03 PM  
Blogger D said...

Rovers is good, don't get me wrong. I like rovers. I think security should have to dress up as weather baloons too. But only in a Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner sort of way.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home